Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Frugal Guy: Telescopic Lens for Smart Phones

Hey again everybody,

This week I'm reviewing a telescopic lens I received from Wolf Tamir.  I received the product from them through Tomoson.com.  I've received a few items from Tomoson so check out the site if you're looking to get your own free products to try. This is my first product from Wolf Tamir, but you can check them out on Amazon by click here. They're a new company (relatively speaking) so if you buy anything from them that you like, be sure to give them good reviews!  Right now it looks like this is the only product they sell, but keep an eye out for more from them.

First of all, I'm not a photographer but I love taking pictures.  Can't say I'm particularly good, but I will say that I find it quite annoying when I want to zoom in on something and my camera can't capture what I want clearly.  This product solves that issue successfully, so there's no need to miss a mortgage payment to purchase a high-quality camera.

This came in a nice little package and includes simple instructions for how to use.  It also comes with a lens cloth and carry bag for the telescope.





I have a Samsung Galaxy J7, and this fits just fine on my phone.  The description on Amazon says that it fits most phones (2 to 3.5 inches) and the second picture above is the clip that goes onto your phone.  I tried with my case and it goes on but the telescope doesn't connect right so this product works best if you take your phone case off. Since this comes with instructions I won't go into details about how to use it, but there's a brief video below on how to adjust the phone clip.



I was able to fully assemble it the first time in about 5 minutes (faster the second time after I took off the case) so it's not difficult to put together. This is great if you're going some place and had to assemble it quickly. However, since there is more than one part, this probably works best if you're going someplace that you know you will need it, as opposed to just taking it out everywhere you go.

It also comes with a tripod that stood up fine for me under the weight of my phone and the telescope. The tripod is pretty essential in my opinion because when you have a long distance shot/zoom activated, movement can make the whole thing come out a blur.  This may also hinder use if you're on the go, but if you're taking pictures from a stationary position this will be perfect. Taking pictures of a flock of chimera will work great, but riding a chimera while trying to take a picture will likely result in failure. Note:  this might also be affected by the type of phone you have, so keep that in mind (Galaxy J7 isn't the best phone).

As far as how the pictures actually turn out, the lens did not seem to detract any of the quality of the photo (it also didn't add any). This is just pure zoom. This is key because usually zooming in causes the quality to degrade.


This is my camera with no zoom, taking a picture of the far wall in our house (ignore the mess)


This is my camera with the zoom as far as it will go (I'm standing in the same position)


Picture with the telescope attached, and my phone camera at zero zoom (same standing position)


Picture with the telescope attached and my phone camera at full zoom (same standing position)


As you can see it's a pretty close zoom and keeps good quality (as good as a J7 can get at least).  The black ring on the first telescope picture is because I didn't have the lens as snug as it could be.

So if you're looking for a great way to take long distance photos without buying an expensive camera, this is definitely a good pick for you.  Check out this product on amazon by clicking here.  Let me know of any questions.  As always, thanks for reading! Stay safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment