Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Brought New Meaning to Hump Day



They say that water is the most valuable thing found in the desert, but if you ask people that live in the desert, they may disagree. Camels are worth more than gold in some parts of the world, and they can certainly save your life if you’re stranded in a sand-filled wasteland.

Thankfully, I wasn’t stranded in a desert when I came across some camel meat, but if I was stranded in such a place, this would have certainly brightened my mood!

I have no clue what part of the camel I had purchased when I brought home the pound of ground camel from Strip District Meats in Pittsburgh, but I couldn’t stop smiling. I checked the nutritional facts label and was even happier to see that camel is a fantastically lean meat. With only 4 grams of fat in the entire pound, I wouldn’t feel guilty about eating two or three pounds of the stuff if I had it. Lucky for my colon I only had the one pound. Like most meats, Camel also comes standard with loads of protein.


I looked up a few recipes on how to cook the meat, but none of them really said much so I decided to do things my own way. It looked like ground beef, so I cooked it like ground beef, browning it nicely in a skillet. I didn’t throw any oil in, but I sprayed the pan. It created its own grease and browned nicely, so I threw a sprinkle of cumin on top and made a side of broccoli as an accompanying dish.


Camel was the first exotic meat I’d tried in a long time that defied my expectations in a good way. It wasn’t as sweet as the llama, but it was equal on the tenderness scale. It had a slight tangy twinge to it, but aside from this it was very similar to beef. If someone served me camel and told me it was cow I wouldn’t suspect a thing.

While some of the foods I eat are exotic, camel sounds a lot more exotic than it is and I recommend it to anyone looking to try something new. So far the Strip District has been the only place that I’ve seen this lovely meat, but I’m sure you can find it if you look.

That’s all for this addition. I’ll try to put up a post about muskrat soon, so if you hated the picture I threw up on Facebook (that was a shot at my coworker who vomited from looking at said picture) then don’t read the next post. Stay safe out there in this winter weather and as always, thanks for listening with your eyes!




No comments:

Post a Comment