Monday, January 12, 2015

Yo Llama Is So Stupid She Got Locked in a Mattress Store and Slept on the Floor



Yo llama is so old she knew Burger King while he was still a prince! Yo llama is so ugly that even Goldfish crackers don't smile back. Okay, enough of the yo llama jokes. Excuse me if i can't contain my excitement, but I finally ate a llama! While that's not as sweet as saying, "I finally ate a horse" (just to say I'm so hungry I could eat a horse...and then eat it), eating a llama still sounds pretty sweet. Even better is the fact that the llama actually tastes good! Fresh off the bitter defeat from the python meat, I was ecstatic to finally get some good meat in my mouth.



The llama wasn't nearly as complicated as the python to cook. No marinade needed. All I had to do was pretty much brown it all the way through just like any other mammal that I can think of (at least if you're playing it safe). I accidentally started out by putting some oil in the pan, and my girlfriend was quick to remind me that most meats make their own grease so I didn't need it. I agreed with her, but we were both surprised to see that llama did not make it's own grease.




To make matters even weirder, the package for the llama said it had 40 something grams of fat in the whole thing. During my research I saw everyone talking about how lean the meat was, yet 40 grams per pound aint lean by any means. Still, despite the high fat count, there was no grease produced and it didn't taste fatty. Maybe the package lied?


Okay so it made a little teeny bit of grease


Either way, this meat turned out to be delicious. I seasoned most of it with cumin (leaving a bit unseasoned so I could get the real flavor of the meat at least once), and it tasted similar to beef. Llama was a bit sweeter than beef and camel, though camel was a bit tastier (I'll blog about that later). While this isn't the tastiest meat I've ever had, it's certainly a welcome replacement to the traditional flavors, and I definitely wouldn't mind eating it again. At only 10 dollars per pound from Strip District Meats, I don't think this was a bad choice at all.

Had some nice mushroom rice on the side


Welp, that's all for this addition. I can finally check one more animal off my list. Yo llama is so delicious...I ate it (last corny joke from me for a while). I'll get the camel post up soon, and then hopefully the one about muskrat. Until next time, be safe out there in this winter weather and thanks for listening with your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment