Friday, January 30, 2015

More Like a Beaver Than a Rat



Most people cringe at the idea of eating something with the word rodent attached to it, and I must admit that I’m the same way. While I would try any type of food once (assuming trying it won’t kill me), there’s something about the cultural connotations of eating things like rats and mice that made me think twice about eating them. Still, thinking twice never stopped me from trying something and it sure didn’t stop me from trying this beast of a vermin.



I’m yet to see muskrat in a store somewhere, but it’s something that people hunt/trap. There seems to also be a negative connotation attached to the people that hunt/trap or eat muskrats, but I think the connotation is undeserved. While the word rat is in the name, muskrats are much more like beavers than rats. I hear people eat Beavers in some  parts of Maine, but until I have the privilege of traveling there, the muskrat will have to be as close as I get for now.

I got this particular muskrat from a friend at my mother’s church, so, sadly, I wasn’t the one who risked life and limb to catch this monstrosity of a rodent. Because it was caught fresh, it was delivered to me whole, and all but the skin, fur and guts came along.  As a particularly bloody meat, it had to soak overnight to help get some of the fluid out. Some sources say this also helps lower the “gamey” taste, but I had no interest in that (as I always want to taste the true flavor of the meat).

After the meat was soaked I opted to bake this thing whole. The feet were still attached, as shown in the pictures, and I wanted to cut them off but opted against it when it proved to be more work than it was worth. I threw a little bit of water and oil in the pan (lined with aluminum foil), along with some garlic and onion powder. Also put a tad bit of parsley on top for appeal (isn’t it so much more appealing with it on?).



It took about an hour to cook (can’t remember the exact time but I took the time from a recipe). When I pulled the sizzly goodness out of the oven the rodent looked just as grotesque, though a bit browner. I cut off some pieces for my mother, who was also bold enough to try it. When I sank my teeth into this meat I had no clue what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The meat was tender and delicious. In my mind it was somehow reminiscent of turkey, though my mother thought it was more like beef. It tasted much better than it looked and I’m glad I got to sample it.

So next time you hear someone talking about eating a muskrat, judge them not. Send a shock through your brain and your tongue and try this rodent if you dare. If it’s prepared right you won’t be disappointed.


Welp, that’s all for this addition. I’m thinking of doing a post for the rocky mountain oysters next. So stay tuned. As always, thanks for listening with your eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment