Monday, October 29, 2012

Blown Back Again [Update at bottom]

Sooo I don't know if anyone remembers a loonnngggg time ago when I had the tornado-strength winds plow through where I lived back in Iowa? Well, wind is at it again. Granted, I haven't had to evacuate down to the tunnels that don't exist this time around, but the longer I sit here, next to the worst place in the house (the window), the more I wish I had some tunnels to hide in. God is mighty...period! (Does saying period and adding an exclamation point seem like a paradox to anyone else? There were definitely birds flying backwards today. Poor bammas. As this picture shows, apparently I was the only one dumb enough to drive out in this hurricane. The cars driving the other direction are heading away from Sandy's wrath, but of course I couldn't help but try to befriend the crazy cane.



It wouldn't be my life if my job didn't decide to close until after I needed to stay inside of it, but that's a different story entirely. So far we still have power in the house, so until we lose it I guess I can update this. I'll also do another plate full of words, and this time it's for my latina/o people's. Definitely had another super nice experience at work. One of the regulars just came in and bought the crew some papusa revuelta y curtido y salsa. It was pretty good. Even threw in some jugo de maranon (accent over first N).




From my understanding, papusa revuelta is corn tortilla filled with cheese, beans, and pork. The curtido is fermented cabbage relish. Salsa is exactly what you think it is. Jugo de maranon is the juice of a maranon fruit...again, accent over the first N. Overall the papusas were the best papusas I've had, but according to my salvadorian coworkers, not the best ever.

Even though I couldn't make the trip to Richmond tomorrow, the inclement weather also destroyed any chances of jury duty, so that's a plus. And since I work alternate hours this week, the day off is just a freebie. Woot. Probably do some writing for the nonprofit and go from there.

Welp I'll keep you posted on this dirty storm. As always, thanks for listening with your eyes.  

--------------------------------------------UPDATE--------------------------------------

Sooo the hurricane definitely eased up through the night. God kept my family safe and the power on. Definitely had the most fun with the leak in the basement. Glad God has a way of turning a calamity into family bonding time. I wish there were more pictures I could show you guys but Moms says they're too "embarrassing" to share with everyone. But i do have a picture of the contraption below.

ALERT ALERT You'll have to utilize your mind's eye for most of this. Think of my family (as crazy and quirky as we are) building a contraption to keep the leaking hurricane water at bay. Not sure if you guys remember back when my moms basement flooded from the last hurricane, but this hurricane brought on more leaking. My mother and sister tried everything (puddy, duct tape, other crap), but in the midst of all three of us, we devised a path to success. We, drum roll please, we used aluminium foil! That's right, we taped aluminium foil to the walls and pipes where the leak was, formed funnels with it, and then drained the water into buckets. Imagine all three of us working together to keep wet duct tape to a wet surface while forming foil and trying to keep dirty water off of ourselves. The success made things much easier on everyone. Goes to show what a little family power and wisdom from God can do. First picture shows the contraption, second picture shows how effective it was (we had to change the buckets regularly).





Even learned something new. Discovered that if you put large amounts of water into a toilet, it will flush on its own! Crazy right (you better not be over there laughing at my ignorance). Mom says it's cause I grew up privileged. Well that's it for the update. So unless sandy is a phoenix I think she's done for this area. Prayers go out to all the people affected by the storm. As usual, thanks for listening with your eyes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment