Saturday, September 22, 2012

Plate Full of Words - Sushi With Me


Finally made sushi! I purchased a sushi roller back when I thought I was moving to Chicago, and though I still haven't used it, I did make sushi. Had a sushi night with Missy, and since we were at her place we couldn't use my roller (so yes that means I still purchased the darn thing for nothing). 



Everyone knows there's bad sushi and there's good sushi. Buffet and Trader Joe sushi is the worst, and fresh sushi is the best. I still remember my first time trying sushi (5th grade teacher had us make seaweed rolls with calamari for the meat). It was for an international day I believe. Why don't more teachers incorporate interesting foods into their lectures? Beats me. Mrs. Bryant, said teacher for my international day, was a bit eccentric (told us stories of how in Papua New Guinea they eat Guinea pigs, and then she gave us guinea pigs as school pets), her method worked. I don't remember anything about the international mumbo jumbo, but I have an awesome appreciation for food. That was the point of international day right?

Well here are pictures of the good sushi we made. Used cooked salmon, raw tuna, and cooked/raw shrimp. Obviously sushi rice and roe as well. Looks horrible but tasted great.





Here is a picture of the bad sushi (Spicy Cali roll, Cali roll, shrimp nigri, sunshine roll, classic with Avocado) I had the next day from Trader Joe's. Looks good tastes the worst (horrible quality of meat and rice smh).



Either way, the sushi night was a rolling success. Though my manly, macho arms refused to roll the food gently, it tasted great. Used a good ol George Foreman for the cooking portion, and the refrigerator for the raw. Missy wanted roe so the orange dust was added and worked better than I thought. Created hand rolls and whatever the non-hand rolls are called. Definitely want to try it again. Overall good job us.

Just for your enjoyment, CLICK Here TO WATCH ME EAT TWO BALLS OF WASABI!

As always, thanks for listening with your eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment